Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Freezing in Adjuntas

Yes, that's right. I am freezing. I got transferred to Adjuntas which is in the middle of the island in the mountains and it is the coldest place in all of Puerto Rico. During the day it is in the 70s but at night it gets down to the fifties. Luckily I have a few sweaters and I am pulling out the jacket I brought from home and haven't since the MTC. But really? Who thought that I would be freezing cold on a tropical island. haha. I actually resorted to warming my socks in the microwave the other night before going to bed. You know how I've always had problems with my feet being a little cold. haha. Adjuntas is in the mountains. That's right. Puerto Rico has mountains believe it or not. Some places are a little hard to get to and park the car where we can and start walking. I am in shock that there are so many little houses back in there. We live in town close to the church. The town has a really nice plaza that is all lit up at night and has very little here, one super market a few small pharmacies and a Burger King. But Ponce is a very large city about 1/2 hour away that's where we meet for our district meetings.

Still can't send pictures I don't know why my camera won't send them but I am going to start taking pics on my other memory card and I'll send a bunch next week. our area covers Adjuntas and Jayuya which is a small branch. One day a week we go to work in Utuado which is another branch but president wants us to work there one day a week becuase there are no missionaries there right now. We visit that branch one sunday a month. The people here are actually quite different from the other areas I have been . Until now I have never really served in country. The branches are small and everyone is very humble. Some of our investigators have little education and some don't know how to read which makes teaching a little different. Whereas in the other areas I have been almost everyone is evangical, pentacostal or many different types of christian churches most people here are catholic. That makes things different too. But the people are really great and I am excited to work here.

We have two baptisms schedule for the 1st of January. It is a couple that lives in Utuado. They are really great. They are so humble. He doesn't know how to read and he is quite a bit older than she is. She reads to him and they are so excited about the gospel. They are going to be married on Christmas and then baptized on the first so that will be great.

My new companion is Hermana Angel. She is also from El Salvador. My third companion from there. I'm here second companion. She's been out 4 1/2 months and spent her whole time here in Adjuntas. She is super cute, is about 4 feet tall, speaks pretty good english actually and I am helping her learn more. We have a lot in common. She was studying accounting before the mission, she's genuinely sweet and just happy all the time. Sometimes a little unsure of herself. It's been sort of a hard week for her not being with her trainer and having to show me around the area. I'm not much help because I don't know the members or the investigators. But we've had a pretty good week.

I'm so excited to talk to all of you on Christmas. I will be probably calling at 7:00 our time here. I can't wait to talk to all of you. I hope that finals go well. Good luck Ab on finishing your finals, and Rach too. I know that it will all turn out just fine. I hope you enjoy this week leading up to christmas. Tell everyone hi for me. Love you all a ton.

Hermana Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment